The USA is a perfect road-trip destination. There are millions of family friendly activities across the country, as well as cheap fuel, stunning national parks, good food and affordable motels. See below some handy tips to have a fun filled family road trip across USA.
Planning your Trip
This is where the magic happens and one of the most exciting parts of the trip before it even begins – planning your journey!
- Pick your stops
With kids in the car and a big journey ahead of you, it would be daunting leaving a journey unplanned. Definitely pick your desired destinations and don’t forget to get the kids input as well. Design a time efficient route around your desired stops to ensure that you get enough time at each place, and making sure that the kids aren’t stuck sitting in the car for long periods of time.
- Family Car or Rental Car/RV
If you live in the USA taking your family car may be an option. However, if your car is not up to scratch for a big journey there are many car rental options out there such as Oakland car hire. With most car rentals you are able to pick up a car from the starting point and leave it behind at your final destination. This is perfect if you don’t want to do a round road trip. An RV is great and practical as they have everything you need on board such as beds and a kitchen. It can cut down your accommodation costs, although they do eat up fuel much quicker than a car.
Where to Stay
Across America, there are many family friendly accommodation options. Whether you take an RV or not, these places are great to spend a night in a proper bed, have a proper shower, a breath of fresh air and a change of scenery.
- Motels: Cheap, everywhere and you get a decent meal, shower and sometimes breakfast is included.
- Airbnb: Good bargains, easy to use, especially last minute. It’s a home away from home.
- Hotels: Slightly pricier than motels and most Airbnb’s but after staying in a car for a long time you need a hit of luxury to get you through the rest of the journey. Hotel pools are a good way of keeping kids entertained as well.
- Campgrounds: So you won’t be getting a proper bed or shower with this option but it is still a fun and cheaper option to set up camp under some stars, light a bonfire and whip out your guitar. It’s also great for the kids to run around outdoors after being cooped up in a car for a long time.
Keeping up with the Kids
Kids can get restless, but here are two ideas to keep them entertained and behaved on the journey so you can remain stress free;
- Travel Games: Road trip bingo is ideal, colouring books and I spy.
- Theme Parks: There are plenty of theme parks in the US, so having one planned for the middle and the end of the journey can be a good way to keep your kids behaviour in check by reminding them subtly that you can always drive straight past Disneyworld if they don’t behave.
Don’t forget to experience as much of America as you can on your journey and most importantly to have fun, even when you hear, “are we there yet?” for the hundredth time.