When it comes to eating healthy food it is important to know certain food facts that will actually give you an idea of what you should eat. For instance, did you know that bananas can improve your mental health and reduce depression? Yes, this is true because of the vitamin B6 contained in bananas. Bananas can improve your health in many different ways and below you will find just some of them.
- Nutrient rich food – Besides containing vitamin B6, bananas are good source of vitamin C, fiber, potassium, magnesium, manganese and they are also low in protein and fat. They also contain several antioxidants and a medium-sized banana contains about 105 calories.
- Improve digestive health – The two types of fiber found in bananas, pectin and resistant starch, can improve digestion. The resistant starch can feed the friendly gut bacteria and as such can lower the risk of colon cancer.
- Weight loss friendly food – Bananas are low in calories but are very nutritious and filling. They will keep you full for a longer time and the fiber contained is often linked with weight loss, since it can reduce your appetite.
- Heart-healthy food – Bananas are also good for your heart health. This is because of the potassium contained, that is essential for blood pressure control. Also, bananas contain magnesium, which is also beneficial for your heart health.
- Kidney health – Besides being good for blood pressure control, potassium is also good for your kidney health. People who eat bananas several times a week, can reduce the risk of kidney disease by up to 50%.
- Good for your skin – The manganese contained in bananas can be great for you skin. A single banana provides about 13% of you the required daily manganese needs. Manganese helps your body make collagen and as such protects your skin against free radical damage.
Eating bananas every day can definitely have a good impact on your overall health. They are the perfect choice to start the day with whether plain or in a combo with some cereals, nuts, peanut butter or as part of a smoothie. And since they are easy to take away with you, you can always have a banana in your bag as an alternative to some unhealthy sweet snack.